Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Doing Our Best for the Economy

The first shop sample is on its way! Jean sent me a box of Civil War repro fabrics and, typical of me, I threw out the plan we had discussed and designed a different quilt to fit the yardage.

This 20 block quilt is based on "Economy," a mid-19th Century quilt I saw on the Smithsonian website. It's charming with its simple blocks that show off the fabric to its advantage.

At first I thought it would take hours to make the 80 diamond-in-a-square units, but I found my Judy Martin Point Trimmer and the blocks nearly flew together.

Here you see me auditioning fabric for the sashing and border. I think I'll use the brown, but that's just another plan I can throw out the window.

Two days later: Here is the finished top. There was just enough of the stripe for the border and I had to fudge just a little to make it work. It is now pin-basted and will be quilted by machine tomorrow. Watch for its arrival at Aurora in about two weeks.
Two MORE days later: Finished! The quilt is in the mail!

1 comment:

  1. I am looking forward to this quilt arriving in the mail to the shop! We will be scheduling a class as soon as we have sample to display.

    ReplyDelete